Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Saving money on groceries

I have finally figured out the best way to save money on groceries.  I'm sharing it in hopes that it'll help someone.

The best way, for me, to save money on groceries is make one large shopping trip at the first of the month.  Walmart has been the best place for because they ad match and accept internet printable coupons. I will buy everything I need for the whole month, with the exception of produce and milk .  It does take some time and planning on my part to make it work but it's so worth my time.  I want to share some of my favorite sites with you that help make sit so much easier.  

First is http://saymmm.com/.  This free site is so wonderful.   

  • You put you recipes into your account to plan menus.
  • Create a calendar with all your recipes.
  • Once your calendar is made you can print a grocery list. It's printable and will be categorized for easy shopping.
The first time you use it does take some time to get your recipes in, but the next month is so much easier with all your recipes already there.

I've been using this for almost 6 months and since it keeps all your recipes saved i have a collection my recipes to choose from.  I'll add a few new recipes in every month so we keep a variety of things.  You can also add additional items to your list before you print.  That way you have a complete grocery list including household items.

Next after I get my list of grocery items I'll check the current weeks ads and find the best deals on the items on my grocery list.  I'll circle them on the ad  with a bright marker so I can show the cashier when I'm at the checkout.  

After I look through the ads I'll take my grocery list and ads and search for my coupons.  

My favorite coupon sites are: http://grocerysmarts.com/ 
  • Select your state and store. 
  • A list of coupons for that store and where to get them comes up.  I use both internet and newspaper coupons. It will tell you where to find both.


  • You can either look through there very large coupon database or use the search and type in exactly what your looking for.  I've found a lot of printable coupons on this site.  

If all else fails and I can't find a coupon for some of the things I'm looking for I'll use ask.com and type in: Printable _(fill in the blank)_ coupon.   I usually am able to find a lot that way.  

I never play full price for anything on my list if I can help it.  The more money I can save, the nicer I meals can be. I hope this will help you save some money. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! These are great tips and I really like that first site!

    ReplyDelete