Thursday, March 29, 2012

Make your own silly putty

Make your own silly putty
Wow the many uses of Borax.  It's not just for laundry.  We had so much fun making our silly putty today.  I can't believe how easy it was and that we haven't made it before.  This experiment came from a really neat site.  http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/experiments/crazyputty.html  We've found lots of fun stuff on their site.

 


What you need:
Borax
2 bowls
Elmer's glue
Food coloring
water
spoon

 
 Step 1:
take a small bowl and dilute 1 tablespoon of Borax in 1 cup hot water
set aside


 Step 2:
In the second bowl pour Elmer's glue.  Pour enough to cover the bottom of the bowl.
Stir in a 1-2 tsp of water.  Enough to make it slightly runny, but not too runny.
Add 2 drops of food coloring. Mix well.


Step 3:
 Add 1-2 Tbsp Borax water.  Add a little at a time till it changes and forms a ball.  I found that mine wasn't thick enough after we stirred it so I added a little more and it turned it to the silly putty thickness.
 

Play and have fun.
 

It bounces, stretches, & squishes. 

Amazing texture you just want to squeeze it.

 
 Our if your Rarity you'll make a bracelet.



21 comments:

  1. great science activity...I'm pinning this to my science experiment board! TFS at BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla at Preschool Powol PacketsMarch 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM

    Your daughters are adorable! I love making silly putty--and it looks like your girls had a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I'm following you from the Hop Along Friday hop. I hope you will stop by Swanky Baby and follow us too! Have a good day!

    swankybaby.net
    facebook.com/swankybaby1

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally awesome!!! I can't tell you how many times my daughter has left the silly putty out and our dogs have eaten it! That can't be good for them... can't wait to make this with her and make sure we put it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've done this before. It feels so weird, doesn't it?!? The kids love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addicted to RecipesMarch 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM

    Cool! My sonw ould love this! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really fun to make!


    Stopping by from the Friday Hop to say hello.
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great experiment. Looks like your kiddos had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, fun idea!! Thanks for linking at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea @ No Doubt LearningApril 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

    How neat!! We've made playdough, but silly puddy would be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool. We made slime once or twice from borax. The kids enjoyed it. I bet the silly putty is a little less messy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what fun. Thanks for linking up. I'll facebook/twitter this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from the Monday Mingle! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool, now I want to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so much fun! I'm going to save the website and try to do this soon with the grandkids----and I bet my daughter and her boyfriend will have fun too LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! I'm gonna have to try that with my kids!

    Happy WW from Jordyn @ The Green House!

    http://www.thegreenhouseboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Raising a Happy ChildApril 5, 2012 at 2:58 AM

    This looks so good. I need to put Borax on my list! Thanks for sharing with Afterschool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking this with Science Sunday!

    I need to try this again because our attempt didn't end that well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carla at Preschool Powol PacketsApril 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

    Hi again! I'm featuring this on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page today! Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome - thanks for linking up to Make Yourself Monday!! You've been featured this week; check it out Make Yourself EASTER Monday

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  21. [...] For instructions to make easy silly putty use this link: http://www.watchmeplayandlearn.com/2012/03/make-your-own-silly-putty.html [...]

    ReplyDelete