Saturday, March 3, 2012

Smell this

Discovering the link between sight and smell
 Another great teaching resource I want to share with you is the PBS teachers site.  From the main page http://www.pbs.org/teachers/ you choose the age the child is you from the top menu and a wonderful drop down menu drops down with

  • The Arts
  • Health & Fitness
  • Math
  • Reading & Language Arts
  • Science & Tech
  • Social Studies
 There are lessons, videos, and links to all sorts of great ideas.  

For our lessons today we used the Prek Health & fitness lesson.  I chose smell this!  I thought with it so hands on that both my girls will like this activity.  I idea behind this activity is to understand that we use not only our mouth to taste things, but that we use our sense of smell as well to identify what the item is we are eating. 
 Our items we smelled was vanilla, lemon juice, and vinegar.  Fluttershy couldn't identify exactly what the smells were, but enjoyed trying.    Our foods were carrots, cheese, and strawberries. 
 Trying to guess what she was eating with her eyes closed.
 On the activity page they also included this video of the dinosaur train which talked about smells and tastes.  To access this activity page use this link:  Smell this!

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this with my kids this week. We'll use our super smellers! Thanks for the fun idea. (:
    Karen from http://www.layers-of-learning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did they do with the food? That seems like that would be even harder!

    Thanks for linking up to Science Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They had fun with the food part. Is was harder but fluttershy got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and fun! We are so glad that you linked up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea!! would like to do "senses" activity with my daughter soon, I will keep this in mind :) thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great blog. I love the ideas you have to keep your girlies busy and exploring - can't wait to start doing this stuff with my kids in the next few years.
    I found you on the blog hop - feel free to check me out at www.dovetailblog.com.

    ReplyDelete