Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rainbow rock candy




 Science experiment:


Rainbow rock candy


We had such wonderful success the last time we made rock candy that we created a whole rainbow.  



You'll need:



  • a bamboo skewer

  • granulated sugar

  • tablespoon

  • a glass bead or other small object

  • small jar

  • 1/2 cup of very hot water

  • a pencil




  1. Before you start dip bamboo skewer in water and then in sugar (let dry completely.  This will give the sugar a base to start on)

  2. Microwave 1 cup of water till it boils.

  3. Pour water into large glass.

  4. Stir in sugar a little at a time till the water will no longer dissolve it.  (a few sugar crystals will linger in the water).  It seemed to hold about 2 1/4 cups sugar for the 1 cup of water.

  5. Add food coloring.

  6. Place bamboo sticks in sugar solution.  (I tied mind to a pencil to hold it up)

  7. Wait for 1-2 weeks.

  8. A sugar layer will start to harden on the top of the sugar water.  Carefully break this away so that the water can evaporate.




Don't forget to keep the crystals that build up on the sides and bottom.  They are yummy too!


13 comments:

  1. Cute idea, Veronica. I've book marked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April's HomemakingMarch 25, 2012 at 2:48 AM

    What a fun idea, I have always wanted to try making rock candy, adding colors would be even more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this done and have even done it several times, but the way you have presented it and your adaptions of it are the best I have ever seen! You have given new life to an old, but goodie science project! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon@DiscoverExploreLearnMarch 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM

    How fun ! My kiddos would love this activity. We will definitely be trying this soon ! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandi @ Catholic NewlywedMarch 26, 2012 at 5:08 PM

    That's so cool! My daughter is only 4 months, but I'm tagging this post so we can do this when she's older!

    I found your blog through Make Yourself Monday at For Love of Cupcakes and I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! I'm bookmarking this! My son tried to make some but his attempt was a failure =/ New follower from Monday Mingle! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter has been studying crystals lately. This looks like a great project to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! Love the pictures you've shared. My kids would really enjoy this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely going to try this one with my kiddos! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes...this is so fun...for every person....even the moms!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so amazing! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We love having you and hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma @sciencesparksMay 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

    They came out so well! Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete