Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bedtime encouragement


New bedtime chart


Bedtime around our house has become dreaded by my 4 year old and me.  We are going to try something new to see if I can encourage some cooperation.  I've created a bedtime chart that has 5 things that she needs to do before going to sleep and if she can do them without complaining, whining, or crying she gets to put a star sticker in each box for the thing she did. 

 Our 5 items on our bedtime chart are: 
 clean up toys, go potty, brush teeth, put on Pj's, and hop in bed.

After she's finished and in bed she gets 2 pennies for every thing she does.  We were already having her get 10 cents every night for cleaning up, but now it's broken down into categories. I'm emphasizing the happy attitude part.   I break down the dime into 10 pennies so she has something to count into her piggy bank.  I know 1 dime doesn't seem all that much, but for my 4 year old she's able to earn 70 cents by the end of the week and that buys a candy bar, or if she waits for a month she can buy a my little pony at walmart.  

At the end of the week she gets to count all the stars she got for the whole week and will get the reward for that amount of star.  

15 stars = 5 candy hearts
20 starts =  $0.25 to put in a candy/prize machine at the grocery store
25 stars = we get to make a batch of the cookies of her choice 
30 stars = She gets to stay up after her bedtime to watch a movie with mom & dad
35 stars = Gets to go to McDonald's for a happy meal and play at the play place

I think the 35 stars in 1 week is going to be a work in progress. It's something she'll want so I hope it will encourage some better behavior.  I'm sure that after she starts to get the hang of our program she'll get better and earn her ultimate prize.

 I have made these chart available if anyone would like them.

4 comments:

  1. So far, I have no difficulty putting my little boy to sleep... he sleeps around 7 and 8. Does your girls nap in the afternoon? But once I do encounter such a problem... for sure I will revisit this technique of yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, the bedtime chart brings back memories! My oldest was crazy about Blue's Clues back in the day... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bed time chart brought back memories, my oldest was crazy about Blue's Clues way back in the day! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been a fly on the wall in my house...lol...we have the SAME issues with my 3 yr old son. Thanks for the great tips! Hope they work for you {and me too!} Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete