Saturday, January 7, 2012

Week 19: Day 3 Fluffy White Stuff

Sensory bin fun:
Winter fluffy fun


Here is a link to where you can find this product.


Sensory Bin Idea:  
Shaving cream

So here is where we started.  The girls were very eager to give this a try.
I put them in their play dresses because I knew it was going to be a messy one.

It took Rarity a little bit to get into it.  She was just so happy to have a tiny bit on her hands. 

Fluttershy on the other hand was totally into this.  As soon as 
I saw her heading this direction we (I) decide that we needed to switch locations. 
Who says bathtubs are only for washing.  
This was the perfect location to just let them have at it.





It ended up on their arms, cloths, hair, and the tile on the wall.  
It was a super mess, yet clean play.  Afterward I just pulled their cloths 
off and sprayed them off. 
Gross Motor Skills

And then oddly the balloon decided to static cling to the ceiling.
Day 3:
Calendar Activity 

Read Books:
Read Words-
Introduce Information( Write of 1 ½” tracing paper):
Dial 911
Continue to have your child practice dialing 911, tell the "dispatcher" their name, the emergency, and his/her address.


letter writing practice-  Q
Number writing practice- 1
Review Shapes-  flash cards
Character Education: Self-Control, Gentleness, Kindness, Love - Review Meaning

Craft-   Real Crystal Snowflake
Make an amazing snowflake from real crystal (borax). This is a beautiful project (and also demonstrates some basic principles of chemistry).
Supplies needed:
  • Wide mouthed jar
  • 3 white pipe cleaners
  • String
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Boiling water (have an adult do this part)
  • Spoon
  • Borax (called 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster - the product called Boraxo will NOT work)
  • Optional: blue food coloring
Make a giant snowflake frame from 3 white pipe cleaners and string. Twist the 3 pipe cleaners together in the center to make a 6-sided, spiky figure.
Make sure this figure fits inside the wide-mouthed jar.
Tie the string around the pipe cleaners to look like a snowflake shape. Trim the excess string.
Tie a few inches of string to one of the pipe cleaners. Tie the other end of the string to a pencil, so that the snowflake will hang from the pencil and dangle inside the jar.
Take the snowflake out of the jar.
Pour boiling water into the jar (have an adult do this part).
Add the 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster to the hot water in the jar.
Keep adding the Borax until you have a supersaturated solution (you will see undissolved Borax at the bottom of the jar). You'll have to add about 3 tablespoonfuls of the 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster to each cup of hot water in the jar.
Optional: Add a few drops of blue food coloring for a bluish snowflake.
Hang the snowflake in the jar and wait at least overnight.
In the morning, your snowflake will be covered with beautiful crystals.
As the supersaturated solution cools, the borax comes out of solution (less of the borax can dissolve in cool water) and forms crystals on the pipe cleaners and string.
You can do the same type of project using supersaturated sugar-water and a string, making edible rock candy (but the crystals take longer to form).

Play-  Play the “Opposites Game”
“I am going to say a word and I want you to say the opposite.”
Day/Night
Off/On
Over/Under

Gross Motor Skills Activity
Balloon Fun - keep it afloat, bat it with both hands clasped together in one large "fist", bounce and catch the balloon - always use both hands together

13 comments:

  1. Little Wonders' DaysJanuary 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

    I love how you've set up your lesson plans. The shaving cream play looks so fun. Smart to move it to the tub! Thanks for sharing at AfterSchool, so glad to see you there!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. maryanne @ mama smilesJanuary 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

    LOVE the shaving cream in the tub! That's the place for that activity!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Afterschool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas - and I love your shaving cream sensory bin for winter! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. (If you could add the Montessori Monday button or link back, that would be awesome!) I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am all about the shaving cream. in my classroom, we call it "snow in a can". great fun and easy way to clean tables. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm a new follower of you on GFC! Love shaving cream, always so much fun, and I'm with Lori...GREAT WAY to clean the tables ;) My friend also used it to make some bathtub paint...it's on my 'to do' list as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Whimsical HeartsJanuary 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM

    Hahaha, what fun mess that shaving cream is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Discovering MontessoriJanuary 10, 2012 at 2:29 PM

    Looks like a fun week, love the sensory bin! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raising a Happy ChildJanuary 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

    This is a great week. Loved the shaving cream pictures. I am yet to try a borax snowflake. Visiting from Afterschool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imelda @ Husband, 4 boys, et. alJanuary 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM

    Oh my. What mess. What fun. I have boys and I measure the fun they have by the mess they make. :-)
    I am a new follower from Melomomma's hop.
    I hope you can follow me back. :-)
    Thanks, Imelda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shaving cream in the tub must have been fun!!! EZ clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great idea! I never thought of letting my kids play with shaving cream! I'll have to give it a try, I think my girls would love it too!

    I'm a new follower. I also have a blog hop open if you're interested in joining. You can find me and link up at www.adeliciousobsession.com

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas! I'm now following from the Friday blog hop.

    Would love for you to check me out at http://beatnikki.blogspot.com.

    Can't wait to read more!

    Beatnikki

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just using Blogspot.com as the host. They've always been a fast load time for me. That's why I've used them.

    ReplyDelete