Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jelly Bean Math

Jelly Bean Math




Jelly bean math

 

Using jelly beans you'll help your child  recognize her senses, as well as make predictions, sort, and chart.

What You Need:



  • Bag of jelly beans (with at least 4 flavors)

  • Small bowl

  • Crayons

  • Printable Jelly Bean Graphing page


 What You Do:




  1. Pour a small bowl of jelly beans.




  2. Introduce your child to the bowl of jelly beans and have them sort them by color.




  3. Once they’ve separated the colors have them count how many of each color.




  4. Use the printout to graph how many of each color there are.  




  5. When your finished graphing,  let them try out their sense of taste.  See if they can guess what flavor each color of jelly bean is. Let them test by tasting to see if they are right. They’ll love this part!




12 comments:

  1. Mmm. Jelly beans! Food is a great motivator for math! Maybe I would have been better at math if I had had jelly beans to make it fun! Following you via the MeloMomma Blog Hop. Love your blog header, by the way. So pretty. :)
    -Laura
    www.strollerparkingonly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this idea and I especially love the look of concentration on your little ones face. =)

    Aloha,
    Following ya now from the Melomomma link up. If you're up for a bit of a ride we're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com, one little adventure at a time. I'd love it if you'd join me for the ride.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww your blog is so cute! This is such a cute idea! I found your sweet blog via MeloMomma's hop. I'm hosting a hop this weekend too if you'd like to link up :) Now following!

    http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/06/sweet-saturday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea. I have three small children and love manipulative activities to stimulate their precious little minds :) New follower from Life with Twins. I'd love for you to stop by Cave Princess sometime!

    Krista Morgan
    www.caveprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] to teach your children. Paper and pencils can be so boring and uninteresting. So, big thank you to Watch Me Play And Learn. She shared a great post on how to do math with jelly beans. She’s got a super descriptive post [...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! My family used to have a "guess the number of jelly beans in the jar" contest every year - and one of my brothers nearly always won. He's an engineer now, no surprise there, I guess!

    Thanks for sharing with learning laboratory at mama smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. Pinning it! I'm sure it's hard to not taste before they're done counting! Thank you for stopping by and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how fun!! Reminds me of when I taught statistics only we used M&M's and were introducing bar graphs and frequency charts. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great! Our kiddos are going to love it! Thanks for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" Hopefully we'll see you tomorrow at 8pm MDT for this week's party! :) -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  10. Low hat a great way to teach graphing. I like the predictions at the end. That would be my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and thanks for linking to The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete