Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Digging for Geodes

Digging for crystals


On Saturday we went out digging for geodes.  I have always wanted to do this.  My Grandpa was really into rock and had a box of geodes he'd collected out her too. It took a little bit to figure out where we were to dig, but once we figured it out we had filled a bucket in an hour or less.  We ended up having to stop because we didn't have any more room to take them home.  Most were tennis ball size, but we did bring home several larger than a softball.  The crystals were grayish purple.  On Sunday we got out he saw and cut open several beautiful geodes.


Not too far from the geode beds we had seen some rock that had been cut into on the side of the mountain.  We decided on the way home we were going to check it out.  We not sure what the rock was, but it had flakes of shinny metallic pieces that glimmerd.  We soon found that there was also topaz.  We collected a few pieces and headed home. 



Oh and I can't forget these little guys.  They were running every where.  Little horny toads.  Daniel caught one for the girls to look at. Fat little guy.



 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so very cool! We have only gotten them individually. To get so many at once would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I used to love digging up my backyard (and neighbor's yards) for rocks that I would hope would turn out to be geodes once I cracked them open with my dad's hammer. I only ever found one, but I remember it being one of the most exciting days of my young life!

    ReplyDelete