Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Green slime


 
  Green Slime



As part of our summer preschool we played Bunny Hop Math, Texture treasure hunt, and made Slime Green Silly putty


Math:


Bunny hop math


First I made up 8 cards to draw from with images that are found in the room and placed them in a bowl.


To Play:




  1.  Let your child draw a card from the bowl. Let them point to the object in the room from the card they drew.

  2. Ask them to estimate how many jumps it will take to get to the object.

  3. Let them try their guess out.  Did it take the 6 hops they guess? Nope it took only 3.

  4. Return the card to the container and pick another cart.  This time they picked a different object.  Let them guess and hop to the object.  This time they were right.  Keep the cards in the right guess pile.

  5. After they've gone through the whole pile and had some fun talk about estimation for a bit.


Ok so my artist skills are a bit lacking.  I may cut the items out of a magazine next time.



Texture Hunt:


Using the sense of touch, take a walk through the house and your yard to discover the many different textures around us.


Instructions:




  1. Grab a bag or pillowcase to start your hunt.  As you take your walk around the house or yard collect different feeling objects.  Make sure to grab textures that are smooth, bumpy, rough, soft, and hard.  

  2. Once you've gathered around 10 items pick fun place to lay a blanket an observe your items. 


Silly putty


Fun and easy to make.  Today we made our lime green.


For instructions to make easy silly putty use this link: http://www.watchmeplayandlearn.com/2012/03/make-your-own-silly-putty.html


16 comments:

  1. You are such a fun mom! Flutershy and Rarity's hair is getting so long now. They look so cute. It is fun "watching them grow."
    Thanks for all the great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything better than green slime?;)

    Thanks for your comments on Mommy LaDy Club! If you ever have any questions about Club-Content and our writing exercises, just let me know. We try to focus down to a once a month exercise so that it doesn't feel like work, and gives us time, but really benefits our blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like it was a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun lesson!! Thank you for sharing it at Happy Family Times!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like they had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids so obviously enjoyed the slime! I love their expressions :-) Thanks for sharing at Happy Family Times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally found a huge box of Borax to experiment with all the different kinds fo putties that i can make with my kids. I heard you can even use it to make a high bounce ball!
    stop by and link up http://peekababyny.com/wordlesswednesday/post-1409

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun ideas! I'm sure my kiddos would especially love the green slime part. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know that in my former life I was a math major, right? So I'm totally all over that bunny hop math. I might even make up some cards so I can play when my kids aren't around! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New follower! Love all of this and thanks for sharing. Kids are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like fun learning. Not like anything I have did in school. And I love the slime. My girls are older, but I bet they would still love to make it.

    Stopping by from VoiceBoks! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do lots of science things with borax as well. Try making these fast growing crystals too. http://www.watchmeplayandlearn.com/2012/01/crystal-snowflake.html. They'll form in less than 6 hours. Pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are such cool ideas that my kids will love! I especially like the bunny hop math--I'm kind of mad at myself for not thinking of something like it on my own! (I'm an elementary school teacher, so really I should have...) ;) Thanks for some really great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like a lot of fun! These are some great ideas for my toddler and i to do and it's a great sensory activity, my little guy has an on the spectrum disorder so these things are perfect. thanks!

    ReplyDelete