Monday, July 9, 2012

Sunscreen Experiment


Sunscreen experiment



Sunscreen experiment

Ever wonder why we have to wear all that sticky sunscreen? In this investigation we ‘ll explore the way sunblock works to protect us.  Set up a simple experiment to find out how sunscreen counteracts the effects of the sun.

 

Instructions:

1. Fold the colored construction paper in half. You'll leave one side alone and put sunblock on the other side.

2. Children can use their fingers to spread sunscreen on one side of the paper. If they'd like to make designs, that'd be fun too.

3. Unfold the paper and leave in a sunny spot outside for a few hours, sunscreen side up. (Don't forget to wash the sunscreen off your hands.)

After a few hours, observe the paper. What happened to the section without sunscreen? Is it still dark-colored? How is the side with sunscreen different from the side without sunscreen?

You can see the side on the right is lighter.  The UV rays discolored and lightened the paper, where as the left side remained darker where the sunscreen protected it. This would be a fun activity to do at the first of the summer to teach your kids the importance of sunscreen.


I was featured:


Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I might have to do this with my son, who is sooo against sun screen latelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this experiment! And much healthier than the one my sunscreen-skeptic dad did one summer, when he drew an X on his back. And got burned everywhere else. I did remember that lesson though - and so did he!

    Thank you for sharing with Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee! Sorry! I had to giggle at that one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great experiment! Looks fun, too!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)
    ~Susie~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you looked into this, very interesting. In my part of the world we are all so good at 'Slip, Slop, Slapping' that we now have vitamin d deficiencies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great idea - love that visual learning of an almost abstract concept!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great experiment. We will definitely have to try this. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to let you know I will be featuring this post this week. Thanks again for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very simple and very cool. I think I will have to try this one with my girls at the cottage.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete