Thursday, July 5, 2012

Making Marbled Paper

 

Making marbled paper




 

A few months ago we tried this and had such great result we decided to try it again. 


This time however, we tried a couple of ways.  



For the first way you'll need:


a plastic tub (large enough to lay your paper flat)


shaving cream


food coloring



Our shaving cream was a little hard to spray so I had to help Fluttershy push the button, but if your is easy I'd let your child spray it themselves in the plastic tub.  Now the next step is clearly up to you, but my girls loved it.  Next let your kids have a few minutes playing in the shaving cream and at the end have them level it out so it's fairly flat.  Next drop 12 or so food coloring drops (multiple colors) onto the shaving cream.  Using a paint brush or the back of a spoon swirl the coloring around.  



Now lay your paper flat on the shaving cream.  Now gently pat the paper to ensure the shaving cream will stick to the paper.  Lift off the paper and let it dry on the counter for several hours or until the shaving cream has completely dried.  At this gently rub off the shaving cream.  The colors will have stained the paper and you will have marbled paper.


 


Second way


Our new way we tried this time was to take some of the shaving cream from the plastic tub and put it into a bowl.  Give your child a paint brush and let them paint with shaving cream.  When they have finished painting, let the shaving cream dry and brush it off like the other method.  



The picture above is the second method using the shaving cream like paint and the picture below is the first method laying the paper flat on the shaving cream. Both have a neat effect. 


4 comments:

  1. Now I have to buy shaving cream!! I framed one of my son's marbled paintings and put it in the kitchen, I think they are so pretty! I love the little maths equations I get to do on your blog when I leave a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! We tried this, but I think we mixed the colors in too much. We'll have to give it another go - and try your painting version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really cool. I may need to wait a bit- until I am sure my little guy is not going to try to eat the paint! Coming to you from the blog hop... Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun and a bit messy! Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete