Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reading: Silent E

Silent E Games I feel it's really important to make learning fun for Fluttershy so that she will love to learn.  Since reading is the 1st important skill she will learn, we have been spending some extra time playing reading games.   We've been learning to read from The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.  It's been a really nice resource.  Each lesson is short and simple.  Some lessons come with an optional activities that are game like.


I've been working on Silent E words with Fluttershy. She's starting to catch on, but to help make it fun for her we've been playing lots of games I've made and some fun I've found on the internet.  This one we got the idea from Mrs. Pollard at Teachers Pay Teachers.  We've adapted ours to make it like a scavenger hunt.  I made each of my girls (Yes Rarity wanted to pay too) a magic e wand.  I made several printouts with CVC words that also are silent e works too when you add an e. I've hidden them around the room.  Fluttershy reads the CVC word first then ads her e wand and reads the new word she made with her wand.  She's really excited and loves this game.


Other fun things we've used is the word snake. Roll the dice and move your piece the amount you rolled.  If you land on a work that is a cvc work you read the work and you turn is over.  If you land on a cvce word you read the work and get to roll again. You can continue to roll until you get a cvc word.  Play until someone gets to the finish line.



Other fun thigngs we do are: Starfall.com's silent e game, and fun4thebrain  . We have been watching the Leapfrog video Word Capers that covers the silent e. Readingbear.com has fun video lessons too, one of which is the silent e. 

And last we play BINGO with the words that she's learning.  I just keep my reading games in a folder and pull them out everyday to let her choose what she wants to play.  The best part is she loves to play my games.  It's never a drag for her.  And secretly she's learning and she doesn't even realize it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment